Hey guys, it’s been quite a while before this update shows up. Let’s jump into what we’ve come across so far.
The past week was quite a tremendous satisfying moment for us as we’ve pushed out words about the game with the great help from Indieviddy. We got some responses back from international press in terms of just mentioning about the games, coverage our team story and future plan, and a request to have a custom build of the game.
So here is a press roundup you might want to check them out.
- “There will be plenty of nods to video gaming history with the “hero” zombies in the game.”
- “With all the super heroes dead and oftentimes twice over, the fate of the world lays in the hands of this villain turned good.”
- “Le seul survivant est Kiki (oui moi aussi j’ai ri) pour sauver la planète.”
- “I myself am very picky about iOS titles I download, but Zombie Hero: Revenge of Kiki looks like it will tempt me to try it out upon launch.”
- “Je dois dire que les sprites du personnage sont aussi fluides que dans Combo Crew et que c’est vraiment plaisant de voir Kiki mettre des baffes à tous ces zombies, surtout aux super héros !”
In fact, we constantly update our press links in http://zombie-hero.com/press, anyway we put them up there for sane and satisfying.
Also there’s a request for custom build of the game from reviewing media site, but we haven’t heard anything back just yet, we hope they understand that the game is still in development, not the beta or final version. Also we gave out the build to french media Gamesinthepocket.fr to have hands-on the game, the response is quite nice. They’re the very first media that we rolled out the build to. You may check it out the last link above.
Tokyo Game Show 2013
We finally applied for showcase in TGS 2013. We got invoice back and whenever we pay for it, we confirmed the spot there. E-mail-ing back and forth with Japanese about this topic is quite nice as their own culture shines through the communication pipeline. Smile and respect are all the way along. Also as we told you so that we got some benefits from attending Networking Game Asia 2013 in Singapore, we can take that benefits for TGS 2013 as well. It’s mostly about business day free pass, and others that could save expense from our side. We would say that it really suits to our chosen booth to showcase as well.
We planned to extend our staying for another 1 day so mark your date if you can make it to the event, we may have a meet up during 19-23 September. Just knock us over, a chit-chat is very welcome.
As for previous post, we stated that we will be in better position if we work with publishers, yes, currently there’s a first interest coming and we expect to be talking with them within this month. Of course, it’s still too early to nail down the potential publisher but having a talk ahead of time and discuss what might turn out are always better. It’s still along with our plan to send out some requests for other publishers in this early month as well.
Anyway as far as we concern, we won’t stall the decision for too long. If we could find the right one and both side agreed on the terms and conditions, then it has no need to wait any longer. There should be time for contract signing, and others. Hopefully we would get one better before or within September after TGS.
Mostly what we’ve done is optimizing the code (a lot better for core systems), refining and improving over even small things, adding more stuff especially ULTIMATE ATTACK COMBO!
See them below.
- Optimized code in combo system.
No more wasted in cycles which normally spent in checking the condition statements. It’s faster and a lot better now.
- Made the bouncing of enemies in the air and back down to the ground more realistic and intense.
- Added a first type of ultimate attack along with nice effect including floor break effect.
- Optimized asset by switching from using .pvr to .pvr.ccz.
Anyway, this is still not a leap in optimizing a final bundle size of the app. I’ve checked it carefully even individual file’s size is smaller but the final bundle size is not. I would guess it relates to zip algorithm that on top of .pvr.ccz, the bundle is created in a way of zip package, then it may not have any effect anymore. I may switch back to .pvr entirely for all asset file but I won’t do that as in the future integrating content protection will still require .ccz to apply on it. So it’s safe to say, we’re in the right direction.
You can check out this issue I asked over Stackoverflow here. There’s no answer just yet, maybe you can help me out
- Reduced memory usage by about 17 MB.
Before it’s around 53 MB which is quite nearly touching the warning limit level on iPod 5 if you open several others apps in the same time (notably includes Facebook, Mail, a couple of game apps, and some others). We changed asset to use RGBA4444 for most of them, only leave intact for some UI especially in gameplay as users will see it (mostly) all the time.
- Made joystick transparent.
This is important as there’s a feedback about this coming directly to us. We agreed. Now the visual won’t be hindered by opaque joystick anymore.
- Improved cut-scene flow to be more smooth + Added character avatar to represent who’s talking in the moment for all characters involving in the cut-scene. The smoothness and flow of cut-scene is fixed by modifying the touch logic. Users can just touch on the screen and it will continue to move from sequence to sequence painlessly. Combining with the addition of a next ready sequence indicator, this is way much better.
- Cut-scene text is now in left-align.
- In-game dialogue also applies the similar flow and smoothness as seen in cut-scene.
To emphasize it a bit more, the ultimate attack is very important as in the previous build. We just use a temporary one which has short range effect. Not many times we would love to use it ourselves, so this confirms us. Ultimate attack now covers in wide area affecting several enemies surrounding Kiki. We use it more frequently, several magnitude compared to previous build.
Here is a couple of shots for you.
We hope you love this updates as much as we do.
Until next time guys!
SC – Wasin